About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Assistant Merchant will own the pre-season merchandise strategies for the Baby Franchise business, driving seasonal product strategies to meet market specific needs, Accountable for delivering annual financial goals, supporting the execution of Franchise Market, and representing Franchise needs in brand milestone meetings. Initiatives include creating assortment strategies, managing franchise exclusives, developing lineplans, and analyzing the business for product recaps, seasonal midsights and seasonal hindsights. Position will be based in NY/Gap HQ, reporting to Senior Merchant and will be part of the Gap Franchise Product team, partnering with North America & International Merchandising, Franchise Planning, Product Operations, Store Experience and Marketing.
What you'll do
- Support execution of seasonal Franchise Market inclusive of sample management execution and partnering with cross functional teams (Planning, Marketing, Visual) to develop and execute all necessary tools.
- Ensure franchise merchandising systems are properly maintained and all changes are made in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of cross-functional teams (Design, Global Merchandising, Planning, Production, Brand Planning, Franchise Partners as necessary).
- Identify strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to global merchandising; liaises directly with global merchandising on all responsive levers (monthly bookings, chase, etc.)
- Analyze the business: Conduct seasonal midsight and hindsight reporting to inform future line development and merchandising strategies; review weekly selling reports and utilize knowledge to make informed product takeaways on market trend in bi-weekly trade meetings.
- Build strong, commercially viable Franchise seasonal assortments inclusive of international exclusive styles, with clear strategy on concepts and key drivers.
- Present and sell assortments to franchise partners while influencing franchisees to buy most appropriate seasonal assortment in order to achieve targeted financial goals and ensure strong representation of the Brand direction.
- Support Senior Merchant, with select areas of the KB business in addition to Baby as identified seasonally, as well as various short and long term assignments focused on business growth.
Who you are
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrate a point of view about product assortments and business opportunities
- High level of attention to detail while still managing to focus on the impact to topline business
- Strong organizational and planning skills to ensure timely and accurate execution of responsibilities
- Strong ability to identify and execute priorities with a sense of urgency
- Strong communication and relationship/team skills
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Powerpoint) with aptitude for learning new programs
- 1-3 years of retail/wholesale merchandising experience
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs