Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the role
ABOUT US: In 1969, Don and Doris Fisher opened the first Gap store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco. They wanted to make it easier to find a great pair of jeans, and they did. Their denim and records store was a hit, and it grew to become one of the world’s most iconic brands.
Today we’re represented in more than 1400 stores in over 40 countries, and online. We have headquarters in New York, London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and, of course, San Francisco.
Our unique aesthetic is optimistic cool, elevated American style. Our clothes are crafted with care, with focused attention to thoughtful design. We believe in staying true to our heritage while creating what’s next.
Don and Doris Fisher always wanted to “do more than sell clothes.” They wanted to support the people who ran their company, to be active in their communities, and to have a positive impact on the world. Their vision helped transform retail, and we’re still following their lead.
We stand for freedom and possibility for all; we champion diverse ideas that transcend generations, geographies and genders.
So if you have ideas, if you’re talented, if you want to work with phenomenal people, and if you think we should leave the world a little better than we found it, we’d love to meet you.
As the General Manager, you are responsible to create and execute a business plan to achieve store performance goals which include achieving sales budget, building market share, as well as other Company defined goals. Through collaboration with your District Manager and your store team, you will analyze operational processes, customer trends and business results to determine appropriate actions necessary to achieve business objectives. You will teach and coach behaviors to your managers which enables a high performing team to consistently deliver a best-in-class customer experience. You lead a team a team of Assistant General Managers, Assistant Managers, Specialists and Sales Associates. You have autonomy, possess independent judgment and discretion in leading your team of managers and associates to achieve or exceed the goals / strategies of your store; inclusive of making quality talent and business decisions in support of the Brand Vision.
What you'll do
- Builds strong teams + drives a culture of high performance + engagement; Creates and ensures quality execution of development plans building team capabilities, measured by success of the overall store operations in conjunction with customer and employee feedback
- Drives Results by creating plans and initiating actions that maximize efficiencies, capitalize on opportunities, and removes obstacles to drive sales
- Collaborates with store, Field and HQ teams to implement strategic initiatives to improve store processes while building the capabilities of others
- Builds confidence and creates an optimistic, rewarding and collaborative work environment in which employees are encouraged to grow to support our succession and talent pipeline goals
- Presents the store to Field Leadership and HQ Business Partners to inform and educate about business, operational efficiencies, product sell through and customer feedback
- Acts as a trusted leader with thorough understanding of the impact of initiatives on customer experience, workload, productivity, employee engagement, and store compliance
- Upholds the commitments to the company’s processes, values and Code of Business Conduct at all times
- Teaches, coaches, and recognizes behaviors to managers and employees enabling a high-performing team ready to deliver for the customer
- Analyzes results, identifies opportunities and makes decisions in collaboration with the management team to drive sales and successful initiatives for the store
- Manages store budget for daily operations and initiatives to achieve business objectives tied to the P&L
- Drives the employee lifecycle of Managers, Specialists and Sales Associates which includes, hiring, onboarding, performance feedback and ongoing development
- Holds team accountable for overall performance and takes action to decrease losses, minimize shrink and all forms of risk ensuring store compliance standards are met
- Leads the implementation and execution of Standard Operating Procedures and initiatives to maximize customer satisfaction and business efficiencies
- Seeks knowledge of new skills, local competitor practices, and retail trends applying learnings to the store experience
- Supports change and shows agility as needed to lead a successful store
- Performs Leader on Duty responsibilities; providing overall leadership presence for the location
- Talent Builder – strength in hiring and developing a high performing team aligned with Company goals; building careers and fueling a strong talent pipeline
- Drives Results - a proven track record of managing and operating a retail business; driven by achieving business results in support of store goals
- Strategic Orientation – has created and sustained effective strategies through planning and execution to achieve/exceed objectives set for the store
- Customer Impact – has an understanding of the customer base and local marketplace to ensure actions taken are in support of maximizing customer loyalty and profits
- Accountability – experience in monitoring performance to ensure results are delivered
- Merchandising acumen that inspires customers and instills loyalty resulting in increased market share and positive store experience
- Effectively present store to the customer every day showing decision quality through leveraging business metrics in driving performance
Who you are
- College degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum 5 years of retail experience preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience leading managers
- Ability to maneuver around sales floor, stock room, work with and around cleaning chemicals, and lift/carry up to 30lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including holiday, evening, overnight and weekend shifts
Benefits at Gap
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.