About Gap Inc.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
About the role
The Director of Software Engineering is primarily responsible for the following areas: guiding and contributing to software design and architecture, managing and mentoring technical staff, overseeing application development and delivery efforts, ensuring we limit our technical debt, engaging with senior-level business leaders, and leading nimble and responsive application development and delivery organization.
What you'll do
- Work closely with the leadership team, peers, and key influencers across the organization to set goals and strategy to lead a dynamic and productive development organization; continuously improving practices and methodology
- Program oversight for portfolio work owned by the Fulfill product line that enables the Global Supply Chain engineering team to meet strategic goals around volume and labor efficiency. This includes planning, prioritization, and budgeting with input from Logistics Engineering, Architecture, Operations, Network and Systems Engineering, and Facilities.
- Accountability for planning, architecture, design, and implementation approaches that adhere to GapTech best practices and ensuring solutions meet the requirements of the GapTech InfoSec team
- Ensuring that projects deliver not only on functionality, but also continuously improve how the organization delivers solutions with modern agile, lean, and design thinking practices
- Providing guidance and direction for project managers, solution architects, developers, QA Automation Engineers, and technical specialists on application projects
- Providing leadership, mentorship, and oversight to a high-performance team of engineering managers and engineers for the Warehouse Management and Vendor Management product teams
- Stays abreast of industry technology, trends, and best practices
Who you are
- 10+ years of relevant technical experience developing large-scale applications, preferably in the supply chain space
- Well-versed in software design patterns, object-oriented design, and service-based architecture
- Experience leading and directing the work of others, including development, test engineers, and architects with demonstrated understanding of modern software development and infrastructure tools, processes, and practices, including Agile Development, Cloud, DevOps
- Deep end-to-end technical knowledge building and running web applications, services, and related technologies in the Cloud – Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services or Google CloudDemonstrated ability to empower people and integrate teams
- Knows how to have fun at work
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technical field
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs