We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
The VP of Design will use vision to create beautiful technical sustainable product to grow the business. This person will lead a team of Sr. Directors and Designers to concept, design and develop compelling, brand enhancing seasonal product in service to the Athleta customer that fulfill short and long-term business objectives. This person will ensure that product aesthetic and cost are consistent with target customer desire and brand handwriting. The VP of Design partners closely with Merchandising to ensure product meets customer need and with Production and Gap Inc. Sourcing/Vendors to deliver high quality, cost effective and aesthetically accurate samples. (e.g., right fit, right color, raw material).
What you'll do
- Develop a high performing Design team; accountable for inspiring and leading a team to do their best work.
- Ensures design organization is supported to create with the appropriate resources/team.
- Lead a team of Sr. Directors/Directors and Designers to create compelling, brand-enhancing product. Manage team to align seasonal assortment across categories/end use.
- Builds on the brand aesthetic.
- Consistently communicates a product vision and strategy in service to the customer/brand.
- Focus on bullseye style development/lifts; consistently introduce new ideas to delight customers in our “famous for” styles.
- Lead concept process and approve seasonal product strategy and direction.
- Builds on brand handwriting with a focus on product uniqueness regarding trims, cut lines, sewing, etc.
- Pushes product innovation forward every single season and stays abreast of competitive landscape.
- Identifies and researches new product categories or businesses that will enable Athleta to achieve its short and long-term strategic market share and revenue goal.
- Accountable for financial performance of the Division. Adjust product strategies to address in-season business performance and/or consumer insights.
- Approve seasonal assortment to ensure that product aligns to beautiful technical sustainable filters.
- Approve color palette and print direction.
- Approval of seasonal fabric direction.
- Develop strong internal cross-functional relationships with Merchandising, Production, Technical design, Gap Inc. Sourcing (GIS), Visual Merchandising and Marketing.
- Hold Design team accountable for meeting development deadlines and ratios.
- Determine, allocate and ensure effectiveness of departmental budget.
Who you are
- Minimum 15 years of product design/development experience with a strong record of people management.
- Extensive experience in apparel design and development.
- Experience managing large cross-category and cross-functional Design teams.
- Possess an elevated sense of style and an innate love of fashion. Understand how to translate trends through the lens of the customer and brand filter.
- A great eye for color and an understanding of the possibilities of fabric and construction. Ability to look for new and innovative ways to use color, fabric, and details in design.
- Strong presentation and influencing skill and the ability to create and make presentations in a variety of settings and styles.
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills, demonstrated by the ability to communicate a vision and inspire and motivate others to action.
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs