We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the role
At Athleta, we're inspired by those who continually push themselves to be their best. We're looking for people who find inspiration in the same things we do. Like community. Participation. Empowering others. Working as a team. Never forgetting that work isn't work without a little play - And, of course, being a part of something bigger.
The Senior Designer is responsible for innovating and creating the strategic direction of business through creating beautiful product that performs; is accountable for development process, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect their respective categories through new to market technologies for both short and long-term impact. This role leads, mentors and develops a team of designers and partners closely with cross functional leaders who collectively are responsible for creating product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
• Direct current trend and design strategy for entire girls collection.
• With goal of winning on the intersection of style, performance, and sustainability, collaborates with the cross functional teams to develop and communicate seasonal trend and inspiration.
• Develop key trends and seasonal theme direction for silhouette and fabric appropriate to your classifications and for the Athleta brand in collaboration with the Merchant and Production team.
• Develop and manage creative design and execution of Athleta product within the guidelines of the brand identity.
• Research current bestsellers and trends to develop new styles, designs, and brand evolution.
• Provides overall recommendations and sets tone regarding style and fit of product(s) during presentation, ensuring that “the what” cuts through.
• Partners with Marketing team to ensure product knowledge and attributes are clearly communicated to our customers.
• Ensures consistency of look between differing businesses and multiple categories.
• Develop your classifications, within the framework of the assortment plan, to reflect a balance between fashion/trend as well as core and emerging businesses for presentation to and selection by the Merchant and Product Development team.
• Oversee concept board and divisional CAD development process for line review presentation and storytelling.
• Responsible for identifying and executing opportunities within the product development process for continuous improvement.
• Selects, leads, develops, and evaluates team members.
Who you are
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
• 8+ years of experience; 2+ years of management experience; ideally working in a high growth business and have a performance background, with deep expertise in apparel design.
• Excellent at setting priorities, fostering cohesive and inspiring cross functional teams
• Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
• Able to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners
• Demonstrated executive presence, ability to navigate complexity, work with creative and technical teams, and collaborate across a senior leadership team.
• Willing and able to travel to the market as needed
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Browse all jobs