GAP INC.’S FOURTH SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY REPORT REVEALS SUCCESSES AND CHALLENGES
Report Highlights Intensified Focus on Environment, Including Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 20% from 2003 to 2008
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – July 31, 2009 – Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today issued its fourth comprehensive report on its social responsibility programs, highlighting performance and data results covering 2007 and 2008.
“As we celebrate four amazing decades of Gap bringing casual apparel to the world, we also recognize the challenges we’ve faced as a global retailer,” said Chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. “With today’s online release of our social responsibility report, we continue our promise of embracing our role and commit to always strive to do better in the years to come.”
- How Gap Inc. beat its 5-year U.S. EPA Climate Leaders goal and reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 20% from 2003 to 2008.
- Development of a capacity-building program focused on working with factories to develop management skills and systems that help prevent problems from arising in the first place — and to increase factory accountability for meeting the standards in our Code of Vendor Conduct (COVC).
- New programs that helped employees contribute more than $10 million to causes they care about through their investments of time and money.
- By taking a close look at our practices, Gap Inc. was able to recycle more than 45 tons of paper, cardboard and containers from our North America corporate offices, distribution centers and stores.
- Installation of a one-megawatt solar power system at a California distribution center which the company expects to generate approximately 1.9 million kilowatt-hours annually from the sun.
- Development of the Gap Inc. P.A.C.E. (Personal Advancement, Career Enhancement) program, which, to date, has provided life and workplace skills to nearly 300 female garment workers in the developing world.
Underscoring its commitment to providing greater transparency to a broader audience, the company issued its full report in an online-only format, available on www.gapinc.com/socialresponsibility.
“This new online format allows us to communicate more frequently to more people on important social responsibility issues,” explained Dan Henkle, SVP, Gap Inc. Global Responsibility. “It is our hope to include stakeholders and consumers in more discussions of making sustainable business and buying decisions. Collectively, we believe we can make a difference.”
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading global specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories and personal care products for men, women, children and babies under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime and Athleta brand names. Fiscal 2008 sales were $14.5 billion. Gap Inc. operates more than 3,100 stores in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Japan and Ireland. In addition, Gap Inc. is expanding its international presence with franchise agreements in Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. For more information, please visit www.gapinc.com