GAP INTRODUCES 'CLASSICS REDEFINED' – A NEW MARKETING CAMPAIGN FEATURING A COMPELLING SERIES OF MODERN PORTRAITS AND ICONIC GAP ITEMS FOR FALL
Gap’s Fall Campaign Highlights a Diverse Cast of Inspiring Individuals Including John Mayer, Forest Whitaker, Sarah Silverman, Liev Schreiber, Lucy Liu, Regina King, Selma Blair and Ken Watanabe
SAN FRANCISCO – July 30, 2007 – Gap has been renowned for its powerful portraiture for decades, and this fall Gap celebrates the spirit of this legacy with the introduction of “Classics Redefined” – an innovative new advertising campaign captured by acclaimed photographer Annie Leibovitz. Launching this August, the campaign features a series of modern portraits of awe-inspiring individuals from a range of artistic fields including Grammy Award-winning musician John Mayer, comedic “It girl” Sarah Silverman and Oscar Award-winning actor Forest Whitaker.
“Fashion portraiture is a subject near and dear to Gap. Our advertising has always put the individual ahead of the clothes,” said Don Fisher, founder of Gap. “Whether it’s a celebrity, a writer, a performing artist or a model, the person is always the art, the clothes the frame that sets them off. A photo is a way to capture that moment so it doesn’t pass. And a compelling portrait is a way to make sure it lives on forever.”
“Classics Redefined” is comprised of a series of twelve emotionally arresting black and white portraits. Each portrait is numbered to highlight twelve of the wardrobe essentials Gap redefined this fall. The individuals featured in the campaign wear these modern Gap classics in a way that captures their personal style while celebrating the iconic item. In select campaign spreads, a simple product image of a fall item is juxtaposed against a portrait to tell a more detailed story about the classic pieces Gap has reinvented for fall.
Gap’s fall collection is rooted in the brand’s heritage as the purveyor of casual style and features a modern take on the classic items Gap is known and loved for. From the little black sweater dress and wide leg trouser for women, to the tailored shirt and the macintosh trench for men, Gap has redefined the classics this fall. A clean, simple approach to design makes these items the perfect addition to everyone’s fall wardrobe. The artists in the “Classics Redefined” campaign wear the following must-have items for fall:
• John Mayer, Musician, wears The Sweater Vest ($39.50)
• Lucy Liu, Actor, wears The Little Black Sweater Dress ($59.50)
• Liev Schreiber, Actor, wears The Haberdashery Shirt ($44.50)
• Sarah Silverman, Comedian and Aspiring Supermodel, wears The Wide Leg Trouser ($49.50)
• Forest Whitaker, Storyteller and Actor, wears The Macintosh ($98)
• Selma Blair, Actor, wears The Deep V Sweater ($44.50)
• Ken Watanabe, Actor and Producer, wears The Tailored White Shirt ($39.50)
• Regina King, Actor, wears The Short Sleeved Turtleneck ($39.50)
• Davis Guggenheim, Director and Producer, wears The Perfect V Sweater ($39.50)
• Twyla Tharp, Choreographer and Director, wears The French Cuff Shirt ($39.50)
• Marcel Wanders, Designer, wears The Soft Tailored Blazer ($88)
• Puffy AmiYumi, Rock Stars, wear The Wide Leg Jean ($59.50)
Developed by Laird+Partners, Gap’s creative agency, the “Classics Redefined” print campaign will run in September issues of national magazines including Vogue, Vanity Fair, Lucky, Interview, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, GQ and Dwell.
The campaign also will be featured in Gap stores, online and in outdoor elements, such as billboards and bus shelters, in select markets.